Before you start exploring, we suggest you customize your member profile. This will a) help us all get to know each other a little better and b) help you control the communications that you receive from the site. Here is how to set up your profile:
- Click on "My Porch" in the tabs just below the site banner.
- Once you are on YOUR page, click on the "Options" button on the right. You will see a list like the one pictured on the right.
- Here you can upload (or change) a Profile Photo. That's the photo that will show next to your name whenever you do anything in the site. We will all begin to be able to put faces to names, so we do encourage you to upload an actual photo of yourself -- rather than a cartoon avatar -- even though they are fun and can be very cool.
- You can upload (or change) a Cover Photo, too. This is the photo that will appear as a secondary banner only on your page. This is a nice opportunity to express yourself a little. You could upload a picture of your family, your work team, your pet, somewhere you've traveled. (Does anyone recognize my banner photo?)
- And you can set your email/notification preferences from this page as well. Click on "Edit Profile" in the "Options" list.
- Click on "Email" on the next page that appears.
- On the Email settings page, check on or off the instances when you want to receive automatically generated emails.
- We know that we all get way too many emails. But if you want to be an active member of the Neighborhood, do not turn off all emails. The purpose of this site is to interact with each other. Leaving some of the email notifications on will prompt you to check in when something interesting occurs.
Hope to see more of your friendly faces on the site soon!