To receive an e-mail whenever a new item is added, just click the “Follow” button at the very bottom of this page.
In a position statement from September 2012, the Division for Early Childhood (DEC) of the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) outlined six recommendations “for the promotion of health, safety, and well-being of all young children including those with or at‐risk for disabilities.”
These six recommendations included the following:
Prenatal care services and early universal screening;
- Culturally-responsive, developmentally appropriate, individualized care in affordable, safe, nurturing, and inclusive environments;
- Correctly administered, ethical, valid, reliable, culturally sensitive, formal and informal assessments;
- High quality systems of pre‐service and in‐service professional development;
- Advocacy efforts focusing on public regulations and policies for supporting the provision of services for all young children; and
- Research that focuses substantial attention and resources to identifying effective and efficient systems and strategies for the prevention of disabilities.
The position statement is attached here. Check it out.
This resource is related to one or more competencies in the ICC-Recommended Early Start Personnel Manual (ESPM). To find out more, visit this resource in the Neighborhood here.